Since I asked my bridesmaids to be part of my wedding in a special way, I wanted to do the same for my flower girls. Obviously the same thing wouldn’t appeal to them since they’re so young, so I wanted to create a package that would be fun for them to open and enjoy.
Basically, I started the exact same way as my Bridesmaids Boxes. I used the same colors, the same paint, the same paper, and just tweaked it all a bit. Everything was either purchased at craft stores or the grocery store which made it simple.
The only reason I didn’t use the EXACT same boxes as my bridesmaids boxes was because I knew I would want to fill the boxes with more items (including a yummy treat) and when I went to JoAnn’s, they were out of them. I guess my last post made everyone in Philadelphia run out and pick them all up! HA! Kidding, but hopeful…
I actually picked these boxes up at Ross – they looked like fake books and had lining in them that I didn’t like. So I repainted them and was off!
Here’s where I got all of my supplies:
- Wooden boxes
@the Grocery store:
- Bag of Sugar Cookie Mix
- Powdered Sugar for Icing
- Flower Cookie Cutter
- Icing colors
- Wooden cigar boxes
- White faux paper flowers
- Mini Pearl Stickers (for the headbands/necklaces/bracelets)
- Jewelry wire
- Flower stickers
- Moss matt for the lining
- Antique looking cardstock paper to print on and to create handmade stencils for all of the painting I did on the boxes
Supplies I already had:
- Xacto knife
- Mat board (to cut on)
- Ink in my printer
- Font I used – Dutch & Harley (a free font I got off of a free font website)
- Flower hole punch
- Embroidery thread
- Inspiration pictures for flower girl dresses/tutus from Etsy.com!
- Elmer’s Glue
Here’s a list of everything in the box:
- A paper and glitter flower headband that can also be used as a bracelet or a necklace or anything the girls would like to use it as
- A picture of the outfit I’d love for them to wear for inspiration
- A note asking them to be our flower girls
- A mini felt dress on a hanger that has a tag saying, “Wear Me”
- Flower shaped sugar cookies that have a tag that says, “Eat Me”
- A page they can color to let Adam and I know what they want us to look like on our wedding day
Here’s what the note said:
we’re getting married! as you know, we’re getting married on June 15, 2013!
we are absolutely excited and couldn’t think of anyone else better to be one of our flower girls than you! we know our wedding is so far away (a year and a half – wow!) and to keep you just as excited as we are, we wanted to send you this special flower girl package.
we’ve included some special flower girl only cookies which we baked (hope they’re yummy), a flower girl headband (which you can also use as a bracelet or a necklace, or anything else you dream up), and a box where you can store all your things!
we hope you enjoy, and as always, miss you!!
Hugs & Kisses,
Adam & Lauren
p.s. we’ve also included a very pretty pic of a flower girl dress we think you would love to wear. You’d look like a princess!!
I absolutely love how they turned out. One note.. if I could do it over again I wouldn’t have used the moss to line the boxes because it was a bit smelly and I actually had to air them out outside for a few days. I sprayed with a little bit of perfume and I hope when they arrive they don’t stink! EW!
I would have instead been more careful and made sure I picked boxes with nice lining, no lining, or I wouldn’t have tried to PAINT the lining and mess them up like I did. Though, I LOVE the feeling the moss gives.. makes the box feel so magical and fairytale-like… kind of like my Alice in Wonderland/Fairy tale wedding.
I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below!